NFL
                       

Tuesday 8 March 2016

Statement from Sandra Unitas re: Peyton Manning



In the days following my husband�s death in 2002, Peyton Manning sought permission from the NFL to wear high top shoes in the Indianapolis Colts� next game, in honor of John Unitas. Though facing the possibility of a hefty fine, Manning opted to honor his predecessor. 

At one of the darkest moments in my life � and at a time when the sacrifices and successes of NFL pioneers often went unacknowledged � Peyton�s kind gesture, his thoughtful tribute, touched my heart. 

As I watched his retirement speech yesterday, I was again struck with emotion as Peyton related John's encouraging words following a Colts� game against the Ravens in Baltimore. Knowing my husband as I did for more than 32 years, I can assure Peyton that old No. 19 is indeed �up there with his flat top and...his black high tops on� and that he is very proud of No. 18. 

In Manning, John recognized a man of similar character, someone who shared the same love for the game. Though generations apart as Colts� quarterbacks, John Unitas was very proud that a young man like Peyton Manning followed in his footsteps. 

As Peyton�s NFL playing career comes to a close, I want to thank him for the respect he has for my husband and for the kindness he has shown to me and my family. I wish him all the best.

Sandra Unitas

No comments:

Post a Comment